Training - Guerrilla Training

Please leave feed back on the event, technical issue are being worked on so please give feedback on the training subject itself and what you think could have been improved or you would have liked more of?

balaclava clipped with boonie hat. ruined my imemrsion. 0/10

in all srs tho, i think we didn’t really support each other very well or execute manouvers properly. Since we were in large groups people weren’t looking out for their individual buddies ( it may have helped to have buddy teams coloured appropriately. It should be thus… Lancer 1 is red and yellow Lancer 2 is Blue and Green. Lead and medic are white.)

There was a point where we’d located the enemy and squad lead called for us to execute a peeling manouver. I repeated the order to peel. I moved first and got set behind a tree and put some rounds down range, expecting green to cross behind, but they didn’t move, and seemed confused by the request. (at least one recruit was with us, but the others were members who’d read the BQF) They then moved back instead and I ended up isolated and suppressed, and acre issues between me and my squadlead meant I couldn’t get in contact with them.

[youtube]fnartHHjUmk[/youtube]

Training was good and educational.

Firstly main benefit of the training was an attempt to change perception of how to manage a firefight. The idea that we can actually disengage. Hopefully this will also carry over to other missions. So that we can possibly lessen the "drop to the ground and keep shooting until one side is dead" tactic and replace it with some type of manouver. Be it previously trained for attack manouver or disengagement.

Secondary achievment of it was that the contact drills were fairly fast. Target direction was identified (contact size rarely to never), reasonable rate of fire was put out and units started their disengagement following SL-s / FTL orders. If we could get our attack drills to work as fast it would be gravy.

Third we got to try one hit-and-run attack. I am not sure but to me it seemed that no actual security was posted to the sides of the road whilst one unit was doing explosives planting. So if we had a QRF technical move in at high speed the explosives team would’ve had no pre-warning and gotten stuck on the other side of the road thus cut off from the rest of the unit. Also the last objective was a planned ambush. I was not there for the most of it so I cannot really comment on most of it. Aside from the fact that after the ambush was done we were still sitting there. Main element of the ambush is suprise. Once that’s gone we should’ve really hightailed out of there ASAP. It is nice that we managed to down a T-72 and some infantry during our exfil but ideally we would’ve never even made anything other than a soft contact at most with them. Decent infantry response would’ve and should’ve crushed us. Our goal as guerrillas is for us to choose the fights not get dragged into them.

Couple of suggestions for future trainings:

• Explain the theory of doing things before players actually have to do them. Hit and run being fairly self-explanatory but setting up a planned ambush is not. (Explain terrain selection, positionining, usage of explosives, trigger and noise dicipline, cut offs, killzone, after ambush procedures.)
  • For the disengagement drill maybe do a demo run first just so everyone sees what something should look like. Although I assume that started working after couple of tries.

Overall good job [user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/5892636/avatar/small.1586276729.jpeg” name=“Berenton”]5892636[/user] and [user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/12591864/avatar/small.1526326563.jpeg” name=“Dachi”]12591864[/user]. Even with the points brought up I really appriciate the work put in.

Awesome feedback! I’ll maybe plan an actual ambush training at some point to cover all those things.

About the hit-and-run attack: There actually was pretty good security to both directions of the road, and we did even send a QRF technical to check out the shots. The fireteam posted south of the depot saw it and took it out really quickly. The contact (and its’ destruction) was called on the radio but since only leaders had radios, not everyone knew this. There was also a ton of other information on the radio that wasn’t relayed to people without radios. That is something we still need to practice a bit.

Fun training and interesting because it was a brand new and complicated subject to cover. It was also difficult due to only team leaders and above having radios but I was impressed with all the times we overcame that.

Once thought I had that is not necessarily to do with this training was contact reports for gunshots. We should probably have a already agreed nice short way of saying "I hear gunshots coming from the South East they sound between two and three hundred meters away, can’t be sure because I am only using the volume but I do think they are aimed at me because I can sometimes hear a crack at the round passes nearby. Also I cannot say how many because it could be one guy shooting quickly!".

The problem is if you say "Contact South East… far away… ish" Everyone starts saying "Can you mark it on map? How many?" and thinks to themselves "God that guy in Tango 5 is an idiot".

I suggest something like "Contact South East, Taking Fire, No Visual". Accurate, short, sounds classy and tactical :slight_smile:

My POV videos: Part 1 + Part 2

Nothing more to say than what has already been said. Training was great fun, and educational.

With regards to my decision to hang around after the first accidental explosion, my thought process was that our objective was to cripple the enemy’s QRF, and that we hadn’t actually achieved that objective yet, since we’d only destroyed a single MRAP on a scouting mission. I thought it would be wise to stick around until we at least destroyed one heavier vehicle.

Big cheers to everyone who took part in the training too. You all performed excellently!

[quote user_id=“16558368” avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/16558368/avatar/medium.1471276874.jpeg” name=“zcribe”]

Couple of suggestions for future trainings:

• Explain the theory of doing things before players actually have to do them. Hit and run being fairly self-explanatory but setting up a planned ambush is not. (Explain terrain selection, positionining, usage of explosives, trigger and noise dicipline, cut offs, killzone, after ambush procedures.)
  • For the disengagement drill maybe do a demo run first just so everyone sees what something should look like. Although I assume that started working after couple of tries.

Overall good job [user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/5892636/avatar/small.1586276729.jpeg” name=“Berenton”]5892636[/user] and [user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/12591864/avatar/small.1526326563.jpeg” name=“Dachi”]12591864[/user]. Even with the points brought up I really appriciate the work put in.[/quote]

This is pretty much what i wanted to say… Thx to zcribe to write it for me (this shit takes me hours)

And jeah… thank you guys for the effort and the training session!

[quote user_id=“9240990” avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/9240990/avatar/medium.1579262273.jpeg” name=“Teddy”]The problem is if you say "Contact South East… far away… ish" Everyone starts saying "Can you mark it on map? How many?" and thinks to themselves "God that guy in Tango 5 is an idiot".

I suggest something like "Contact South East, Taking Fire, No Visual". Accurate, short, sounds classy and tactical :)[/quote]
Good point, I’ve just been going with "Contact, Sounds SE"

IMO, it was more practice than training:
I think, it would have been better, if trainers showed where to place the elements and explosives for the ambush, rather than just letting them try to do an ambush.
Also, I felt like the walk to the ambush site didn’t teach anything more than the first part, where we went along the waypoints, so I’d prefer to use a teleport there.

In my opinion, it should go like this:

• Demonstrate the expected end result of what you want to teach.
    (Summarize this in an explanation, if time doesn’t permit a demonstration.)
  • Talk the trainees through the procedure while they do it at slow pace and without added difficulty.
  • Conclude with a practice run, where the trainees use the taught skills.

To me it felt like we only did the last part, but then again, there might have been an explaining part and I just didn’t listen.