System advice needed

so i want to upgrade my pc because my q9550 can’t handle the load of arma 3.
I was thinking going AMD FX-8350 and overclock the hell out of it.
What is your view of this approach? Is it worth it our give the extra bucks for an intel i5/i7

Avoid AMD CPUs at all costs. If you’re not dabbling in video/audio/graphics/software, then an i5 is enough. Due to prices I tend to recommend the Haswell i5 4690(K).

Note that Skylake series CPUs are coming around August 15th. They will use the LGA1151 socket and 100 series chipsets. They should be a substantial upgrade to Haswell. Skylake CPUs only support 1.35V DDR3 and 1.2V DDR4.

Hey Tathar, I have no experience with AMD but I have just upgraded to the i5 4690(K) about a month ago and have it moderately over-clocked to 4.3GHz and it works perfectly well so far, when I am running Arma 3 on OP’s it sits at about 50% utilization and only really hit 90-100% when I am also recording my game play.

You could wait for the Skylake chips but depends on how much you have to spend as that will mean a new X99 board cheapest one with really good ratings is this http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X99S-SLI-PLUS.html#hero-overview.

Also would mean new ram if you go x99 your gonna want DDR4 and thats not cheap at all.

Anyway hope this helps a little bit :thumb:

Dachi