Stop being indifferent to violence ;'(

[youtube]AZP44vMwYkM[/youtube]

Hahaha. When I actually watched the original video for the first time and saw that guy kick the robodog I thought the same thing, but I’m surprised someone actually made a video montage about it. :smiley:

this is why the machines will rise up

Haha!

Violence? I dont know about you but i wont necessary call this violence. In the freedictionary they say:[quote name=“thefreedictionary”]Behavior or treatment in which physical force is exerted for the purpose of causing damage or injury[/quote]They didnt kicked the robot to cause damage or "injure" it. It was to show that its capable of getting back on its feet. Its a same time not sad nor funny.

[quote user_id=“6512198” avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/6512198/avatar/medium.1412083221.jpeg” name=“Robihunn”]Violence? I dont know about you but i wont necessary call this violence. In the freedictionary they say:[quote name=“thefreedictionary”]Behavior or treatment in which physical force is exerted for the purpose of causing damage or injury[/quote]They didnt kicked the robot to cause damage or "injure" it. It was to show that its capable of getting back on its feet. In the future these robots will be able to bring supplies to the troops on the front line. Think of a scenario:
Because of tough terrain no vehicle can be sent to the location and enemy AA is preventing any air drops so this robot is tasked to bring medical supplies to a group of dying people. Then suddenly while it is traveling somebody comes up and kicks it but it stays on its feet and finishes the task.[/quote]
It’s a joke, robi. :slight_smile:
Pretty sure the title is a joke on that we don’t treat robots the same way as we would treat humans or animals. I believe the specific robot that they kick is called "dog" too. "All violence is bad" et cetera.

This would actually be fairly fun to consider. Is it mean to kick a dog? Well, I think we would all say yes there. So, is kicking a robot dog bad? If yes, then consider how we cut trees down (after all, trees actually live and grow and adapt, something robots do not), which tends to involve a pretty rough fall. We give them no special consideration. Why should we give it to a metal dog?

Is it because of the association to something we do care for, aka the shape of a dog? Is that enough of a reason to not want to ‘hurt’ it, even though less associative things (again, trees as the example) might actually feel the pain we dread inflicting (neither proven nor disproved)? How does one justify hurting the hurtable and protecting the unhurtable? Can it be justified?
Should it be justified? Why should be have to justify feeling the way we do when the end result is that nothing changes either way?

Interesting topic indeed… I’m going to mull this one over for a while.

This would actually be fairly fun to consider. Is it mean to kick a dog? Well, I think we would all say yes there. So, is kicking a robot dog bad? If yes, then consider how we cut trees down (after all, trees actually live and grow and adapt, something robots do not), which tends to involve a pretty rough fall. We give them no special consideration. Why should we give it to a metal dog?

Is it because of the association to something we do care for, aka the shape of a dog? Is that enough of a reason to not want to ‘hurt’ it, even though less associative things (again, trees as the example) might actually feel the pain we dread inflicting (neither proven nor disproved)? How does one justify hurting the hurtable and protecting the unhurtable? Can it be justified?
Should it be justified? Why should be have to justify feeling the way we do when the end result is that nothing changes either way?

Interesting topic indeed… I’m going to mull this one over for a while.[/quote]

Wonderful, Kaleo! Haha. I was thinking when I wrote that part that this would open the whole thing into a much deeper discussion. You sure delivered. :wink: