Coop - Libertad Y Orden

Please share your thoughts, stories and constructive feedback about Altis on Fire cooperative mission by [user avatar=“https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.enjin.com/821401/site_logo/small.png” name=“Zjosua”]13255879[/user]

Edit: Thread had not been made as of 27/9 13:55 (am I even supposed to able to make these???)

Thank you for the mission Zjosua!

As a part of the mortar team I had a lovely time with Skippy throwing bombs at things. We weren’t really in the middle of the action (but that’s to be expected as mortar) so I don’t know how the mission played out in the AO. I can imagine though that the objective was a bit large for the amount of players we had. I think Delta touched on this in the de-brief but since we normally don’t have more than 30 players I think cities like this one are too big for us to attack in a way that seems complete and realistic.

Other than that Skippy was a great teammate. We had good fun shooting mortars in the first part of the mission. At some point it didn’t seem like there was much need for us so we sat down and enjoyed the view of Lingor, talking about work and stuff. I even played Skippy some music while he watched the fish in the lake. Next time I’ll bring a bottle of wine I think.

DMT Lead. DMT was fun. I really enjoyed scouting and marking targets. Providing overwatch was also nice. The mission seemed pretty good from our POV, as far as what I saw of it.

A few gripes, if I may: I think a Dedicated pilot would have served the mission well. I think everyone worked well with what was there, but ditching choppers seemed a bit meh. Not a big deal; sometimes you have the people, sometimes you don’t. It broke a bit of immersion to have to fly in like that. Immersion was broken again when we were all just kind of teleported away at the end. Felt like we could have regrouped and done extraction in a way that would fit a fiction, but we were just blinked away back to it.

Delta had some good comments about things being rushed through, I’d love it if he posted them here because I think they were super relevant and I don’t want to misquote him.

I feel like there could have been more infantry in areas that could have utilized DMT a bit better. We got a few shots in, but the first area was completely clear. I don’t mind not getting in trigger time, but I went in expecting a heavily fortified HQ position and it seemed pretty light. I attributed it to the enemy running away beforehand leaving a skeleton crew at the base, but it did feel empty.

Watching the teams move from overwatch was a mixed bag. Some of it was very tight and pro, but there was an odd incident of some folks rolling around or running around out of cover. Seemed a bit off.

Something else that hurt things for me was that we got reinserted at the 10pm insertion, DMT got up a hill. We saw nobody for 20 mins and the mission was over. This was after a 50 min wait (for me) back at base as I had just missed the first insert bird. Sorry if I seemed off the last part of the op, but my mindset was absolutely taken out of arma…and by the time we were getting back into it, there wasn’t really a point. I know time is a factor, and you’re always under the clock, but had I known we’d get back and it would practically have been end-ex, I would have just left after dying and done something else the rest of the night.

Not trying to say that as an indictment of the mission on the whole; it seemed like a very enjoyable operation. Just something to keep in mind all around.

Thanks for the op! :smiley:

GMs should announce the number of combat insertions on beginning so players can plan their stuff.

I just want comment some things from 46:00 to 1:03:00 on CNTR.

There was a problém when we entered the compound. On left side was bunker with active shooter. Few of us were very lucky to survive. Probably nobody eye checked well the area just before entering - as we simply doubled up inside towards the closest cover behind green metal bunkers. I saw him in left side of monitor and prayed he will not shoot me when bullets were passing close.

I personally had intention to check spaces between the green iron bunkers for possible enemies. At the end of bunkers CNTR 51:00 was a wooden mini house. I heard enemy shouting inside and went in front of the doors to open them and in that moment I’ve got shot throught closed doors. (right reaction would be to send 50 bullets or more throught the doors like first instead to try open them how I did) Minute later Delta almost got shot throught that doors too and Lipatrott died by the same guy like me. The same guy which nobody cleaned, later killed Shakan in 1:03:00 and even send Freghar uncounscious (saw live on Viscom) which incredibly lucky woke up and shot the EI which from some reason was just watching. (I mean he shot two ppl throught doors before :slight_smile: )

So this one AI killed 3 ppl, one almost shot and one send to unconscious. Should get some medal in memoriam for this :))

Me and Lipatrott died like 21:03,04 and Obi had died like few minutes after us. Very unlucky this time :slight_smile: was quite a sad to watch the action over Viscom.

I think I understood why our SLs often delegate a lot of stuff to FTLs - the platoon radio is so busy they cannot really command the squad. Can we please:

• think what we’re going to say on the net, formulate a short and efficient phrase, before we transmit it
  • keep stuff as short as possible to leave as much "free" space on the net as possible, in case it’s needed
  • always address elements before transmitting the message (either let them answer that they’re ready for a message or announce that you will transmit a message for them shortly, but not sooner than 3-5 seconds)
  • get inspired: Departing KPAO into very busy airspace .. ATC comms included - YouTube

This would not only allow me to get some radio time to actually coordinate with Alpha to clear the base, instead of having to sprint to the element leader in person, it would reduce the need to repeat due to the "destination" being ready for the message (as opposed to being busy directing a squad/team), but it would ideally allow people to ignore the radio unless their element name is spoken, freeing them to actually focus on leading.

[quote user_id=“13633351” avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/13633351/avatar/medium.1434890353.jpeg” name=“Freghar”]I think I understood why our SLs often delegate a lot of stuff to FTLs - the platoon radio is so busy they cannot really command the squad. Can we please:

• think what we’re going to say on the net, formulate a short and efficient phrase, before we transmit it
  • keep stuff as short as possible to leave as much "free" space on the net as possible, in case it’s needed
  • always address elements before transmitting the message (either let them answer that they’re ready for a message or announce that you will transmit a message for them shortly, but not sooner than 3-5 seconds)
  • get inspired: Departing KPAO into very busy airspace .. ATC comms included - YouTube

This would not only allow me to get some radio time to actually coordinate with Alpha to clear the base, instead of having to sprint to the element leader in person, it would reduce the need to repeat due to the "destination" being ready for the message (as opposed to being busy directing a squad/team), but it would ideally allow people to ignore the radio unless their element name is spoken, freeing them to actually focus on leading.[/quote]

That’s a good point.
SOP should always be
"Station this is Transmitting"
"Transmitting go ahead"
"Station Message"
or
"Transmitting wait 1" if busy.
And
If something needs to be said between, Break, break break.

Another good habit is that if you have a long message, pace it out. Speak for a bit (like 3 seconds) then say break to indicate you are giving a break and more will follow, this lets other priority messages in without stepping ontop, and then go.

The biggest thing that could be considered a ‘sin’ over the coms that I saw were stations not saying who they were talking to and lack of receipt of those coms.

Break was quite confusing for me Obi. We use break to break a message someone is sending. To clarify that there is something urgent going on and you want time. I did not have a longrange so I did not know if someone was talking in between your messages or what was going on. After a while I got what you were doing.

Also DMT was good fun. I liked the freedom we got. We saw good positions and took it up and made sure we were in defilate an cover.
AA was taken out swiftly so we could have used a NB if slots allowed it. Reinsert was poorly managed. If people die within the first minute or so and then get inserted again when there is nothing else to do.
Also don’t just TP people when the mission is over. Breaks the immersion super hard. Just announce as HQ that the enemies are gone or eliminated. And then let everyone gather up somewhere.

In standard, break just signifies that the current transmission is being ‘broken’, either by you to give pause or by someone else stepping in.

In hindsight I found that this operation went quite well.

The sector system we tried worked very well from what I saw as alpha’s SL, We had a lot less casualties due to getting shot from enemies outside of the sector we were in. Perhaps we can try to do this more often, this would however require more planning, perhaps use the tactical planning thread more often?

In response to [user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/13633351/avatar/small.1434890353.jpeg” name=“Freghar”]13633351[/user] the reason I started to delegate more often has nothing really to do with radio-comms. Whenever I tried to micromanage more I always got complaints from FTL’s that they didn’t get to show initiative. So basically just trying to make sure everyone has fun.

Only thing I can remark is that we should make sure that recruits definitely go into the slots they are supposed to go in, when Goat got disconnected Lipa was in the AAR slot but didn’t know how to lead a FT. Nothing bad to say about her just noting that for quite a while FT Blue was without command.

As a last point the short range radio’s malfunctioning is very annoying and I’m very skeptical it is a feature as it appears to happen to certain people more often, this basically cost Alpha most of its casualties as I couldn’t tell them to stop moving.

In general I really enjoyed the operation and the campaign, If anyone has any feedback about me please share it.

Mission was ok but I was wondering what happened to the MBT we’ve been fighting for a long time and while watching CNTR I noticed it just disappeared, any reason why ?
Also I forgot to bring something up at the debrief: sorry for being nominal here [user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/17713582/avatar/small.1552514282.jpeg” name=“Shakan”]17713582[/user] but using global chat to announce that you are dead (you were PLT but still) is not something that should happen. I think it really breaks immersion and somewhat ruins the fun of wondering what happened. Maybe there was something I was not aware of, in that case just ignore this, but a senior member using global chat this way really surprised me.

I don’t think the ACRE radios were malfunctioning. Unless occlusion is turned off and their ranges are messed with, terrain breaks them up pretty easily.

And I was a bit curious about Global chat myself.

Yeah my mistake, I was AFK when that happened so I reflexively wanted to clear the confusion that ensued, so yeah. My bad, you have my apologies.

ACRE PRC343 is bugged even with all the occlusion turned off on multiple levels (as variable, in editor module, in CBA settings), antenna direction disabled, etc., etc., you still have situations where your radio won’t work over 3m distance if your recipient is across a vehicle (again, not always, only rarely). I tested this quite extensively, but wasn’t able to get a reliable reproducer to report it as a bug.

Yeah, a couple of us also had a acre error when the mission started…we could hear some people as if ACRE was off (no 3D positioning for volume and direction). It was fixed with a reload, but it was like ACRE was half-on as we could talk over it and people would hear us.