Co-op Balloon Animals

Please leave your feedback here.

Feedback for GM:

1. Nice flanking, it sometimes felt like the flanks magically appeared only so that we could be flanked, but if they were pre-placed strategically so that they could flank possible player approaches, that’s cool!
  2. I don’t know if enemies were so good at spotting due to bad Chernarus-style trees or whether you over-used "Reveal", but if the latter, you might want to tone it down. Bravo got engaged through several layers of trees where we couldn’t be feasibly seen.
  3. If you use RL tactics that are designed around the human psychology to kill off the enemy, like overwhelming fire on one side and artillery on the only escape path, expect people to die. Like - the whole platoon. Our players aren’t elite WW2 generals.

Feedback for [user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/3749902/avatar/small.1500023987.jpeg” name=“Churizo”]3749902[/user] (my SL) and others that took his place:

1. Issue immediate orders when situation changes. If we get under fire, tell us immediately (within 10 seconds) what to do, over the radio. Who should be BoF, who should start flanking, etc. If you don’t, we get pinned down and RPGs start flying.
  2. Take initiative and opportunity. Think ahead and act before your enemy figures out what you’re going to do next. If you’re holding a position, don’t just hold - prepare for what comes next. Keep your squad informed.
  3. Organize chaos. When half of your squad just got mowed down and the second half is running around like headless chicken (inside the compound or on an open hill), act! Tell everybody on the radio to shut the f*ck up and listen, then issue clear and simple orders, ending with "do it now!". People need to be told to forget about bandaging that arm and get moving. If they don’t, leave them behind. If you don’t, you all die.

Feedback to Bravo FTL(s):

1. Please don’t treat our gameplay as formation simulator. At one point, Highway had to remind you that you’re not on a military parade, that you should get moving. Formations are not why you’re in the AO, they’re (minor) means to some end. Focus on the task. If you need to move, don’t wait until people assemble the perfect echelon right. Don’t scold them when they aren’t keeping picture perfect Sthud formation and, for the love of god, don’t praise perfect formations. People then look more at Sthud and less on the terrain around. This wasn’t the first time I spotted obvious enemies while everybody else was keeping 100% perfect formation.

Feedback to everybody else:

1. Get serious, please. I’m starting to play other games when I want to have serious fun, because CNTO is too childish these days. All the dick jokes, "phrasing!!!" jokes, the "you suck! no, you suck!" thing, smalltalk everywhere, it feels worse than a public server where people at least lack microphones.
  2. When somebody tells you that you’re hotmicing and it’s not the first time, please fix your setup. For real. If you have a keybind between voice activation and PTT, you’re obviously forgetting to toggle it. Expecting that you learn / won’t forget is not realistic. Learn to use PTT, it’s not that hard.
  3. If you don’t know how to use long range, do not pick an FTL slot. Because, at some point, you will likely be squad leading. Ask somebody, between ops, to show you. It’s easy and you can play FTL next time.

[quote user_id=“13633351” avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/13633351/avatar/medium.1434890353.jpeg” name=“Freghar”]Feedback for GM:

[list=1]
[]Nice flanking, it sometimes felt like the flanks magically appeared only so that we could be flanked, but if they were pre-placed strategically so that they could flank possible player approaches, that’s cool!
[
]I don’t know if enemies were so good at spotting due to bad Chernarus-style trees or whether you over-used "Reveal", but if the latter, you might want to tone it down. Bravo got engaged through several layers of trees where we couldn’t be feasibly seen.
[*]If you use RL tactics that are designed around the human psychology to kill off the enemy, like overwhelming fire on one side and artillery on the only escape path, expect people to die. Like - the whole platoon. Our players aren’t elite WW2 generals.
[/list][/quote]

1. I did spawn some units but always ahead of your assaults or as QRF to an obj being lost, never spawned as a flank for the sake of flanking, I used preplaced units for that and moved them around.

2.I never used reveal, it was just bad terrain I guess.

1. Yeah, I did expect people to die, but I also did it in a way that people didn’t seem to think it was unfair or unfun. Which is not a bad thing!

Thanks for the mission Skippy, it was well designed. We did ok, though room for improvement is obvious. Still, the mission itself was difficult and required a lot of different skills to finish. I promised myself to play until I die the first time, and it happened only late in the mission so I guess we managed to stay alive for long.

• great op (i did like the style)

• nice terrain and time

• very good usage of EI for flanking us (it was enjoyable, fun, I like it more intensive)

• nice trenches :slight_smile:

• very good team leading from Demzee

• did miss (?) HALO (no Altimeter) or HAHO in briefing

• nice choice of drop zone

Regarding formations - SLs - be aware of them. Bravo SL correctly employed Squad Column during movement. However, during contact we too often stayed in that formation. It’s a situation like we don’t know (or didn’t train enough) standard battle drills - react to contact, break contact or squad attack.

It was a very fun mission Skippy and I felt like we really tested the new medical system setup. It was also a hard mission. The fighting in the woods was ruthless and unforgiving, but not unfair which was important.

As expected [user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/16433725/avatar/small.1623044483.jpeg” name=“Flo”]16433725[/user] showed great leadership as SQL. It was easy to understand his orders and they came promptly and accurate. It was also lovely to get to lead a fireteam again and having Xerses, Ryujin and Dulabu it was a breeze.

For some reason a lot of times I saw leaders use combat pace while having they’re weapons down. Please refrain from this as it has no benefit for stamina and it just slows everything down and confuses the people in the formation. Combat pace should only be used when you actually need to have your guns up.

I really liked this mission.

From the warstories, I see that maybe I performed subpar. However in my defense it was a particular difficult to be a squad lead in an environment like that. We got engaged from all possible sides and I felt like working with half a squad brought some difficulty.

Because of these reasons I couldn’t manoeuvre the way I wanted to.

Very sorry if this made your mission less enjoyable then it should have been

And if my post came across as attacking, sorry, it wasn’t really made with that intention. I was just frustrated with how, when the GM was pretty ruthless and unforgiving, we seem to default to staying put until we take heavy losses, then scatter around and try to salvage what we can, in an uncontrolled manner. It’s not something specific to one person or this mission, but I’ve seen us do better in the past, when led by specific people, and I hoped that by giving feedback, we can get there.
Both on the individual level as well as the leadership level.

@Churizo - Ranger Handbook - battle drills chapter. It will help you a lot.

[user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/13688253/avatar/small.1433248519.jpeg” name=“Highway”]13688253[/user]
I’ve read through it and while it is interesting, this is what I tried to do but the problem is that we don’t have the core of what is described there: drills. We don’t drill basic stuff into our members and the result is that more is required of the SL, this combined with an environment where the enemy was always on our flank leads to some confusing scenarios.
For example at one point my front fireteam got engaged and they reported fire from one side which was promptly engaged by my second FT but they then reported fire from the other side aswell, I still don’t know if there were actually enemies there.
In a forested environment where the enemy can see through most shrubberies and most grass leads to confusion because we can’t always see the enemy.

I agree, squads are not proficient in drills and it’s hard to teach them live. Still, at least you now know what needs to be done. Just yell at people when needed. :slight_smile:

Btw what Bravo squad failed to do is - movement towards contact was well done in squad column formation though platoon commander made a mistake by not employing appropriate movement technique. Remember, when contact is likely, use traveling overwatch. Traveling overwatch for platoon ensures appropriate spacing (50-100m) between leading Alpha and trailing elements.

The fact that Bravo got under fire just supports the thesis of wrong movement technique.

What we in Bravo should have done is immediately deploy Bravo 2 fireteam in support of Bravo 1, somewhere to the left or right of Bravo 1 (you’ve seen the drill image). After that you as squad leader have only three possible COA:

If the enemy is one or two soldiers and terrain is appropriate - squad attack drill.
If the enemy fire is too strong - break contact.
If we can expect reinforcements - deploy as base of fire for higher echelon.

We effectively could only do number two but for HQ paralysis we opted for worst (and we very often make that mistake) - stay in the engagement area until we either get lucky and survive with heavy losses or get completely destroyed.

So it’s not just you Churizo, we were all to blame. From grunts not knowing the drill to leaders not pushing for proper resolution. I am writing this not to criticise person A and B but to really raise awareness of this repeatable issue.

The fact is people do not want to drill tactics they find it boring and repetitive and no that was no a pun. As we can see from the clear way people prefer trainings to go unfortunately that is not how to best learn or have something become second nature. The training people prefer is what you should be doing after you have drilled the procedure.

This is how it should be done:

[youtube]sxziILVTJsU[/youtube]

Drill after drill until it flows.

The near perfect example above happened because they had drilled this at 2 previous EN positions and learned from there mistakes. They are went through the whole mechanics of it in slow time at the beginning with debrief after each position. This what I have just described is what people do not want hence we in CNTO will never be as good as we want to be.

As an idea to counter a sort of general decline in out ability to react to box-standard scenario’s.
Perhaps we could just make a sort of quick guide in which we put out general Squad-tactics from which one point per op could be rehearsed while the SL and PTL make a plan.

It’s all written in the manual(s), isn’t it? React to contact, break contact, squad attack, react to ambush etc… Maybe best would be that PL picks the important ones for the mission ahead and practice them like you said.

Reading tactics is never a substitute for drilling it. It may compliment understanding but can not replace it or provide as much as actually drilling it.

A way to go maybe as Highway has suggested but time in base before leaving would never be long enough.

Use the training grounds they have squad attack lanes specifically designed to teach and drill the procedure.