CNTO does not stand for Convoys Not Tactically Organized

Pardon the catchy title but I liked the format :slight_smile: .

I’d like to share a couple of thoughts on operating convoys with the hope of having a better organization during our OPs. As far as I’m aware the points I’ll go over are not explicitly mentioned in TTP3 or CNTO’s Appendix.

1. Clearly establish and mark on map order of convoy, consisting of vehicle designation number (i.e. Vehicle 1), unit assigned to the vehicle and type of vehicle. This will help everyone to understand who goes where.

2. Mark a point on the road for the convoy to form up. This prevents vehicles waiting in a random order and avoids the 5 minutes required to maneuver them around in the correct order.

3. Slowest vehicle should stand in front, if it makes sense to do so. Often times faster infantry vehicles need to slow down and wait for armoured vehicles to catch up, or worse convoy order has to be re-arranged mid-way to let armoured vehicles get to the front.

4. Within every vehicle clearly designate who is in charge of convoy net communications. Is it the driver? Is the passenger? Is it your little brother? I don’t care, just make it clear to everyone to avoid double comms.

5. Calls over convoy net for vehicles ready to move should be made according to convoy order. It does not make sense for Vehicle 4 to say "Vic 4 ready" when Vehicle 2 is not ready, instead it will only generate confusion since it will be harder to remember who is ready and who is not. So for the love of God wait for vehicles in front of you to make the call. If a vehicle doesn’t make the call, convoy leader should actively ask for an update.

6. If a vehicle branches off the convoy (typically armoured vehicles), clearly decide whether vehicle designations get updated or not. For example, if DAGGER is Vehicle 1 and they go on a lovely trip on the countryside without the rest of the convoy, should Vehicle 2 become Vehicle 1? Should it stay Vehicle 2? Make it clear to avoid confusion.

7. If operating in a soft-dismount fashion (that is with infantry on the ground), do not use the same radio channel of the dismounted infantry. On this point I’d like to hear some suggestions for having better comms, perhaps long range radios inside vehicles? I don’t know if that’s even possible, but we have a load of 343 channels so let’s use them sometimes (do you even know how expensive short range radios are?? Let’s use them!).

Bonus point: leaders, try and not split infantry elements in convoy operations. An infantry squad is most efficient if fully deployed on the same task (be it operating support vehicles or providing security on the ground). If possible, designate support elements to drive vehicles.

TLDR; at least read and remember point n.5

All good stuff, indeed in addition to what is already documented. Practice makes at least semi acceptable, but I think it would be good if people who often drive (like me and Matt, for example) have another read of the documents as a refresher.

To add to point two, perhaps we could use the ambush(?) marker since it has an arrow to show what way the first vehicle should face. Might provide extra clarity, if perhaps a little overkill.

I think there should be

0. Prepare for assembling/boarding a convoy

Similar to helicopter extractions where we (ideally) don’t let the helicopter sit on the ground for 15 minutes until we decide to board it, we shouldn’t start preparations for extract after the convoy arrives. Some people

• might be afk
  • might be unconscious
  • might be arma-bugged
  • some out of ammo
  • out of medical supplies
  • in need of stitching
  • trying to resolve some given task (wheel change, etc.)
  • trying to gather data for an ACE report
  • trying to load a prisoner to a bugged vehicle

That’s I think why our convoys take so long to set up, we don’t give ourselves the time to resolve these issues - instead, we declare "let’s make a convoy" and then are surprised that this new order was just appended to the long TODO list rather than being done immediately.

Maybe we should prepare for a convoy before we have a need to assemble it, if we know we’ll have the need soon. Or declare marines, we are leaving - YouTube and postpone these issues for later.

Worth reading: Ground Vehicles - TTP3

In addition to what Chu linked there’s also two TTP3 chapters that already cover a lot of inputs mentioned in this thread:

https://ttp3.dslyecxi.com/ground_vehicles/#basic-vehicle-roles

https://ttp3.dslyecxi.com/one_page/#convoy-operations

The main issue the TTP3 doesn’t address is the convoy net. We keep it on short-range channel 1 because a.) everyone has a short-range 343 radio and b.) not every vehicle comes with its own internal long-range radio system (some do, some don’t). Thus it’s just the most convenient to switch to one single channel when the intent is for everyone to stay in convoy vics and dismount together at their destination (the vast majority of our convoy operations). However, it is true that PLT should consider a separate short-range channel if the convoy is expected to travel on soft-dismounts for extended periods of time - this is usually not part of our standard convoy contact reaction as we "push through" by default. However, some missions do require extended soft-dismount sections and then it is indeed highly recommended to pick a 343 channel currently not in use.

Another note that you forgot. Establish the convoy net before departure. We are currently using Net7 since a few OPs because 1 is also Alpha.

Henrik covered this in the OP under point 7 and like I said in my post as well it’s mainly an issue during soft-dismounts, not during regular A to B convoy travels.

For normal Mount to Dismount convoys where we all are in the vics together and dismount together (vast majority of cases) we have taught to use 343 channel 1 for years. If we want to pick a new dedicated channel that’s fine but before rolling this out in operations we should discuss this in Training to add it to the Appendix guide. Currently most short-range channels are pre-designated in our composition for different support elements, so while in most cases channel 7 may be free, it’s not necessarily always going to be the case which then replicates the current Alpha issue on a smaller scale. Thus composition changes to the three Standard Factions may be required to ensure one dedicated short-range channel is always 100% free and not in use by any element.

TLDR: before we switch from a doctrine we’ve been teaching for almost six years we should document the change in our appendix guide to ensure we all teach the same thing and not have conflicting SOPs around.

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I always thought the Dark Horse element from Dusty was a great idea. A dedicated element that controls the vehicles. They do the driving and vehicle shooting (and maybe repairing), and the rest can just hop in when they need transport and doesn’t have to worry about any of the convoy procedures.

Obviously this is not a solution for all ops. But especially ops where we have APC’s (like yesterday) it often doesn’t make sense to leave them behind, however putting half of an Alpha squad on controlling 2 vehicles completely breaks their infantry effectiveness. Additionally you might end up with people on vehicle duty for half an op when they really just wanted to play infantry.

The Dark Horse element should always be ready to form up a convoy and know its procedures, instead of random people in fireteams/special elements getting in a vehicle and trying to figure out what to do while people are also switching off or on to your radio channels.

Feel like that would be better with a larger amount of players, but I like it in principle.

[quote user_id=“319225” avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/319225/avatar/medium.1399937338.png” name=“Aether”]All good stuff, indeed in addition to what is already documented. Practice makes at least semi acceptable, but I think it would be good if people who often drive (like me and Matt, for example) have another read of the documents as a refresher.

To add to point two, perhaps we could use the ambush(?) marker since it has an arrow to show what way the first vehicle should face. Might provide extra clarity, if perhaps a little overkill.[/quote]

It wasn’t my original plan for this thread, but at this point it might be useful if I move the discussion on the Brainstorming forum to discuss an update to the appendix and perhaps do more training in that regard. As for the marker, I don’t know which one would be better but to me even a dot would work fine if properly communicated.

[user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/13633351/avatar/small.1434890353.jpeg” name=“Freghar”]13633351[/user] though I was mainly talking about convoys that leave our starting base, I think you also have a good point. There are some variables to take into account when setting up the convoy. And that’s the reason why I think the more standardised our procedures are, the faster we can be ready to move.

[user avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/3749902/avatar/small.1500023987.jpeg” name=“Churizo”]3749902[/user] thanks for the reference. I’m totally in favour of fixed roles for vehicles, but it may be a bit too "milsim-like" for someone else so that’s fine not having it. Though at the very least who is in charge of radio comms should be announced clearly. I had multiple occasions as navigator where both me and the driver attempted to use the radio, or worse me as navigator and someone else in the back of a truck.

[quote user_id=“11341464” avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/11341464/avatar/medium.1553522842.png” name=“Clarke”]In addition to what Chu linked there’s also two TTP3 chapters that already cover a lot of inputs mentioned in this thread:

https://ttp3.dslyecxi.com/ground_vehicles/#basic-vehicle-roles

https://ttp3.dslyecxi.com/one_page/#convoy-operations

The main issue the TTP3 doesn’t address is the convoy net. We keep it on short-range channel 1 because a.) everyone has a short-range 343 radio and b.) not every vehicle comes with its own internal long-range radio system (some do, some don’t). Thus it’s just the most convenient to switch to one single channel when the intent is for everyone to stay in convoy vics and dismount together at their destination (the vast majority of our convoy operations). However, it is true that PLT should consider a separate short-range channel if the convoy is expected to travel on soft-dismounts for extended periods of time - this is usually not part of our standard convoy contact reaction as we "push through" by default. However, some missions do require extended soft-dismount sections and then it is indeed highly recommended to pick a 343 channel currently not in use.[/quote]

I’m sorry Clarke but I fail to see TTP3 addressing the organization of a convoy beyond saying that element leaders are responsible for loading their men in the right vehicles, while my points are about the entirety of the convoy which seems to be hard to get right and quick for us.

As for which radio channel acts as convoy net, the rule is quite simple IMO and has to be called by either PLT or who is leading the convoy. It goes like this: if there are no soft-dismounted units, use 343 Channel1; if there are dismounted units around, use a different channel than theirs.
I don’t see the need for a completely dedicated 343 Channel and thus updating all our factions. You simply pick a channel based on the elements you have. Clarke I understand that our SOP are currently different, but take for example last Friday’s OP where you were in Alpha as well, if we hadn’t moved convoys comms it would have been absolutely impossible to react to contacts properly. I think we could be a bit pragmatic and adjust as the situation evolves during a mission.

[quote user_id=“5721247” avatar=“https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/5721247/avatar/medium.1400099509.png” name=“Koffer”]Maybe slightly off-topic, but I always thought the Dark Horse element from Dusty was a great idea. A dedicated element that controls the vehicles. They do the driving and vehicle shooting (and maybe repairing), and the rest can just hop in when they need transport and doesn’t have to worry about any of the convoy procedures.

Obviously this is not a solution for all ops. But especially ops where we have APC’s (like yesterday) it often doesn’t make sense to leave them behind, however putting half of an Alpha squad on controlling 2 vehicles completely breaks their infantry effectiveness. Additionally you might end up with people on vehicle duty for half an op when they really just wanted to play infantry.

The Dark Horse element should always be ready to form up a convoy and know its procedures, instead of random people in fireteams/special elements getting in a vehicle and trying to figure out what to do while people are also switching off or on to your radio channels.[/quote]

I like the idea, but most of the times our numbers don’t allow for it. I do agree that it depends on the situation, for example when we could use the vehicles at all times as support it would be great. Other times I think it would be unnecessary, for example when we only need to transport troops and not provide actual fire support.

Which points of my original post do you agree with? Which ones you don’t think are needed to be included in our SOPs? As said at the beginning it may be useful to actually update our documentation and I’m up for taking responsibility for the process of brainstorming.